Sunday, December 30, 2007

Just because...

Even though I am in the middle of heartbreak and trying to transition in a world where everyone I'm close to is either married, with kids, or pregnant......even though I am a slave to woman who expects way more out of me than I could possibly manage, and even though I am unhappy about my weight and health and some of the choices I have made in the past couple of years........I still feel grateful today.

I spent the day writing for my second job. Not exactly the type of writing that leaves me with a sense of satisfaction and awareness. But it is the type of writing that leaves me with food on my table and gas in my tank. For that I am grateful.

Though I feel like Carrie without Samantha, Charlotte, or Miranda.....I do have amazing friends who surely enrich my life. Amy is my rock and sounding board. When I'm fucking up, she tells me and forgives me for it. She gives me great advice and listens to me whine not matter how self-indulgent I seem when her world is a complicated, beautiful circus. Her husband Tony is always there for a good laugh....and thank God for him because he gets my humor. And the twins are like strawberry soda on a hot day! I am truly blessed for the joy and laughter and fascination they bring to my life.

I am thankful for my ex-boyfriend, Shelby. We have been through so much in the past ten years. But we have endured, evolved, and somehow, have come out better for it. He always says the right things to help me put things into perspective.

I am always blessed to have a caring, considerate, and thoughtful family. I do know unconditional love and acceptance and I know what a gift that is.

I have an amazing dog. He knows when to get close, when to give me space and loves me near or far. He is my baby and my companion and I am blessed by his infinite loyalty.

I also have two adorable kittens who I love watching play, frolic, and cuddle. Words can't describe how it feels to have a kitten purr in your arms. Thank you Jermaine for this unexpected blessing.

Today between writing and writing some more, I had the health channel on. I was watching a show about morbid obesity and tearing up over the men and women who couldn't even walk around their homes. Though I often hate my body and resent my health....I am so, so grateful that my body is strong and able and that it can take me where I want to go. It was motivation to care for myself. I am thankful for reality T.V.

So today I am feeling gratitude. I think I have a choice ahead of me. I can sit around and complain about all the things that feel off in my life......or I can count my blessings, make the changes that I can make... and choose to be happy in my own skin!

Lynn's law:
Sometimes you just need to count your blessings.

1 comment:

Stellaandthomas said...

I am grateful for you, my friend. What a great post. I can see 2008 is going to be YOUR year!